Sunday, February 3, 2013

Ride And Prejudice

Disclaimer! 
This is going to be one of those preaching to myself type of posts, so this may not be what you want to hear. And, as always, if I say something out of line- let me know. 

I enjoy longboarding. There is a greenway near where I live that is smooth and has hills. It's pretty ideal for riding. There's something about the cool rushing of the air over my face (also blowing my hair if it's long enough), the feeling of effortlessly gliding over a smooth surface, and listening to some great tunes. It makes me very glad that God made physics the way He did. (I wouldn't mind if he turned off gravity, but I'm sure he has reasons for that force's existence.) Anyway, it's a great experience. And since we don't get very much snow for snowboarding or skiing where I live- it's a good substitute. 

However, one thing I don't enjoy about longboarding, is the stares. No matter how large your smile is, how much eye contact you give, or how much you wave and say "hi"- other pedestrians  look at you like you are the lowest form of axe murderer in existence.
I know why. The skateboarding community hasn't made the best reputation for itself. There are some skaters who are angsty teenagers that vandalize things and purposefully aggravate law enforcement, BUT not all skaters are like that. I would say that I have been discriminated against the most just for carrying or riding a skateboard. And, to be honest, it doesn't feel very good. 

(Here comes the preaching to myself.) 

How many times do I do that to others? 
How many times have I "assumed" because of the way that people look or dress?
How many times have I avoided others because of my assumptions?

If I do this, I am being the same person that I just described. These people that I discriminate against might have a lot in common with myself. Even if they don't, and they are angsty teen vandals- don't they need the Gospel of Jesus Christ as much as the next person?

I'll let God's Word end this post:

Titus 3:3-7
At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared,he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment